Pisa - Cinque Terre - Pisa

Thursday, May 2nd


After getting Tony D some new reading glasses, and me a Pocket WiFi, we head the Pisa Centrale railway station for the one hour trip north to La Spezia and then the nearby Cinque Terre:


The most northerly of the five fishing villages is called ed Monterosso, and we has a coffee and foccacia just near the railway station:

 

From there we walked south over the fairly steep peninsulas that separate the villages. This is probably the longest and hardest of the walks, but nevertheless there were quite a large number of people doing the same thing as us - and it's only early May!


The second, and I think the prettiest, of the villages is Vernazza:


As you get closer, you can see why:


Like all of the villages, there are plenty of places to have a beer, eat lunch, or just pass the time. Tony W and I had a beer, while Tony D had a pizza - his body clock seems to be on a different schedule to ours:


Tony D was keen to do some more walking, and he convinced Tony W to go with him to the next village - Corniglia. I preferred to take the train down to the last of the villages, Riomaggiore, which I thought looked very pretty from the train window earlier in the day.


By now I was starting to think the villages had lost their innocence, and the thing which made them popular in the first place - their remoteness, tranquility and charm. I had to wonder what they would look like at the height of the tourist season.

But for now, it was bearable, especially with a G&T, some peanuts, and views like this to contemplate:


I took the 5:49pm train to La Spezia, and was coincidentally reunited with my cycling companions - they enjoyed their walk, and I enjoyed my drink.

Back in Pisa, we had another beer at Bruno's, our favourite pub, a nice dinner at the nearby Bagus restaurant, and then to bed.


2 comments:

  1. no verbal blog!?
    I imagine bikes would be a great way to see the Cinque Terre; the railway being the nest best, but then you can't get up into the hills easily to get that great shot of Vernazza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! Between me writing my complaint about no verbal blog and posting it, you appear to have posted some verbage!!

    ReplyDelete