Canberra - Sydney - Singapore

Saturday, April 27th


Prue dropped me and Celeste (the bike) at Canberra airport for a 10:30am flight to Sydney. There was more than enough time for a latte and to read the paper. There wasn’t as much time to spare in Sydney, so no duty free shopping or G&T in the Qantas Club.

The flight to Singapore was delayed because some poor (stupid?) guy attempted to leave the country with an expire passport. An hour later his (carry on sized luggage) was off loaded and we finally got away.   


Fortunately, I had pre-booked, and paid for, a reserved seat at the front of economy and next to the emergency exit.  In fact, I also go the adjacent seat to myself for no extra charge – perhaps it originally belonged to Mr Offload?! As a result, the flight was more comfortable that the usual Premium Economy (fuzzy photo - too much vibration?).


Arrival in Singapore was uneventful, even if a 45 minutes late, and Celeste was safely stored in Left Luggage – I’ll find out just how safely when I go to collect her tomorrow evening. I took a taxi to the hotel and Robert called just as I walked into the room. It turns out he’d been monitoring my progress on the Internet (the flight part at least).

He has booked a table for dinner at Jumbo’s on Dempsey Hill. Even though it was now after 9:00pm we decided to go ahead – after all, Chili Crab waits for no-one. 


Dempsey Hill is a former British military compound which has been converted into shops, restaurants and just about anything else that ex-pats (and well healed locals) might be missing. My first impression was that Singapore was much richer, greener, spacious (!), and “western” than Hong Kong. We never found Chili Crab in Hong Kong.

Taxis seem to be the best way around, and they’re cheap. So, after another taxi ride home I didn’t get to bed until well after midnight (that’s after 2:00am Australian time).

No comments:

Post a Comment